May 31st, 2018
The Power to Pause
As a subscriber to The Institute for Challenging Disorganization (ICD) I have the opportunity to listen to teleclasses. “The Power of the Pause,” Presenter David Giwerc was a recent Teleclass. “Learning to pause is the difference between reacting impulsively and responding rationally. Pausing is a disciplined skill which can significantly improve your emotional intelligence and your ability to regulate your emotions.”
Here are my takeaways:
- Did you know that the brain needs 25% of the oxygen we take in? Most people don’t breathe deeply enough to get that.
- 1/3 of the population can’t identify an emotion in the moment.
- Like velcro, the brain goes to negative thoughts and the negative stays in the brain longer than positive.
- The pause ignites the executive functions in our brain, helping us to make better decisions. (and organize!)
- Rather than the common “build self-esteem”, David suggests that we practice “self compassion.” Love it!