August 7th, 2016
While working with a recent client, we came across a typed document with this title at the top “Things you can learn from a dog.” It included 18 lessons and was signed by “Freedom Ann.” I have yet to find out who “Freedom Ann” is and her connection with dogs, but the list is great. When I read each lesson it made me think of Phoebe, my 10 year old schnauzer. So I matched up the lessons with photos from the Phoebe file.
1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride.
2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
3. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
4. When it’s in your interest, practice obedience.
5. Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
6. Take naps and stretch before rising.
7. Run, romp, and play daily.
8. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
9. Be loyal.
10. Never Pretend to be something you’re not.
11. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
12. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
13. Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
14. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
15. On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
16. When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
17. No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout…run right back and make friends.
18. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.